June 16, 2013

A new interest to add to the old

OK, I'm not doing very well keeping this thing current. Pity. Maybe now that I have a new topic of interest to mix in with the rest, I'll find more inspiration to write. Of course, if I didn't spend so much time and energy on Facebook, things might be different. Anyway, time to let you know about a new hobby/interest I'm now involved with: amateur radio. Or "ham radio," both are acceptable.
- - - - - - - - - -
Last spring (May 2012), I suddenly realized that the FCC no longer required Morse code proficiency when testing for amateur radio licenses. The requirement had been dropped in 2007. Why it took me that long to discover the fact is irrelevant; I now had the opportunity to fulfill a childhood dream and get a license without having to learn a foreign language! (I have enough trouble with English.)

Finding the resources on-line and at the local library, I started studying for the entry-level license: Technician Class. As I went through the material, I realized my electronics background -- one semester in an Electronics Engineering course and four years working on aircraft intercept radar and missile launch circuitry -- was going to help me immensely.

As I studied for Technician, I realized I might have enough under my belt to tackle the next level as well. After getting comfortable with Tech, I started studying the General Class materials. My target was to test in June in Lubbock, TX.

Steadily progressing, I began to wonder if the top-level license -- Amateur Extra -- might be a possible target as well. You see, when you test for your amateur license, you pay a session fee of $15. As long as you pass the tests, you can continue to the next level, all for one fee.

The night before I was to travel to Lubbock for the test session, I took the on-line practice tests one last time: Technician Class - 100%; General Class - 100%. Looking at the link for the Extra test, I thought, "Why not?"...I missed passing the Extra practice exam by one question. 

Next morning at the test session (one year ago today!), I took the Technician test (35 questions). When the examiner told me I'd passed, he asked me it I wanted to test for General. I said, "Yes, please."

After scoring my General test (also 35 questions), the examiner said, "Congratulations! All we need to do is fill out the rest of the paperwork and..."

"May I take the Amateur Extra test?"

He hesitated for a second, ripped up the form in his hands and said, "Absolutely!"

By the time I finished the 50-question Amateur Extra exam, I was the only applicant left in the room. The first two tests had been relatively easy, but I wasn't so sure about Extra. I sat waiting as the examiners (six at this particular session) hovered around my score sheet to see how I had done. Suddenly I realized they were ALL looking at me. They all then grinned and held a thumb up to let me know I'd done it -- walked into a test session with no license to my name and ended up with the top level license! Sweet!

Less than two weeks later, I had my freshly printed FCC license in my hands and a call sign I will keep for the duration: AF5FJ.
- - - - - - - - - -
More to come later. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment